terça-feira, 1 de setembro de 2009

Roky Erickson - The Evil One (1981)

Roky Erickson is a lunatic. It's not even a metaphor, he's literally a complete loon. In mid sixties he was the leadsinger for the 13th Floor Elevators, the band that might have started psychedelia. That's a lot already, but it doesn't end here.

In 1968 he started acting weird and speaking nonsense stuff. Roky was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and was sent to a mental hospital. From 1969 to 1972 he bounced from a sanatory to another receiving all kinds of wonderful treatments, such as this one:

Apparently all those lobotomies and shock treatments only made our dear Roky even more loonie. And this record, The Evil One, is its evidence.

Just look at those song titles: "Two Headed Dog", "I Think of Demons", "Don't Shake me Lucifer". I mean, you gotta be at least a bit crazy to write a slow romantic ballad entitled "I Walked With a Zombie".

Anyways, all those songs are pretty catchy and sound like postpunk meets psychedelic and heavymetal for a ride. It's pretty worthy, I promise.

1.Two Headed Dog (Red Temple Prayer)
2.I Think Of Demons
3.Creature With The Atom Brain
4.Wind And More, The
5.Don't Shake Me Lucifer
6.Bloody Hammer
7.Stand For The Fire Demon
8.Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play
9.If You Have Ghosts
10.I Walked With A Zombie
11.Night Of The Vampire
12.It's A Cold Night For Alligators
13.Mine Mine Mind
14.Sputnik
15.White Faces

Download 48mb

Um comentário:

  1. "postpunk meets psychedelic and heavymetal"

    Doesn't sound like that to me. Except for the actual words, it sounds like classic rock - it's no surprise that Stu Cook of Creedence Clearwater Revival shows up. Roky's voice quality isn't Fogerty's, but it's an equally distinctive, instantly identifiable rock voice. The riffs are straight-up, the solos short and concise, the production is not terribly 80's (a little chorus on the guitars, no 80's drums), there's not a hint of indie-sounding sloppiness, and most of the songs ROCK HARD.

    And you know, I'm really glad that Roky thinks of demons for me, because I sure don't want to do it. I've got other things to think about.

    ResponderExcluir